Thursday, September 25, 2008

The "Umph"

I think all students will agree—The Umphrey Lee cafeteria is pretty good. From the “Spa Cuisine” to the omelet station, our food is not too shabby. You can have pasta, pizza, sandwiches, hamburgers, “home cooking”, salads or omelets on pretty much any day of the week. Then there is the dessert section filled with all kinds of cookies, cakes and ice cream. Sure, it is all good, but it’s the same food every day. The home cooking varies, but everything else stays the same. And I don’t know if I’m the only student here who thinks the food completely sucks on the weekends. If you walk in the “Umph” on Saturday or Sunday, your choices of food are limited. Why do they half-ass the food on the weekends? Sure, more people eat off campus on the weekends, but there are equally as many people who do not. I just checked my account to see how much money I pay for my meal plan--$2100. I definitely do not feel like I’m getting my $2100 out of the Umphrey Lee.

The food is also not the healthiest. I just asked two girls what they thought about the Umphrey Lee, and they replied, “Oh the Fat-Ass Lee?” It’s true. With all the sugary cereal, waffles, cookies, cakes, pizzas, burgers and fries, it’s next to impossible to eat healthy. Why don’t they start offering healthier choices?

The “Umph” is really nice, and I like the food. There’s no denying that the food is really good. But seriously, why doesn’t SMU offer more, preferably healthier choices to their students who are paying tens of thousands of dollars a year to go to school here?

 

 

No comments: